The Anti Aging Benefits of Eating Raspberries
Raspberries Anti Aging Little Nutrition Powerhouses For Your Skin
The old adage you are what you eat has been proven by extensive research studies, and when it comes to keeping your skin healthy and younger looking you have to start by watching what foods you include in your diet. I personally am a vegetarian, and I love fruits and vegetables, but if you are not so enamored of vegetables you can always include some healthy fruits into your diet. One of my favorite berries is the little juicy raspberry. I snack on them when they are fresh in season, but they are also delicious frozen too. They are low in calories, and they can be an excellent part of a diet plan. The little red berries are rich in vitamins, antioxidants and fiber, so it should come as no surprise that these little nutritional powerhouses pack a powerful anti aging punch that does not require any expensive facial products.
Raspberries quick nutritional facts:
In the top 10 of high anti-oxidant fruits and vegetables
- 1 cup fresh raspberries: 7 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fiber, and 64-70 calories depending on the size of the berry.
- The raspberries will provide the following in one cup of fresh berries: 54 % of your vitamin C needs, 41% manganese, 12 % vitamin K, 6 % folate, 5 % vitamin E, 5 % iron, 5% potassium, as well as lesser amounts of niacin, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin B-6, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and copper. These little berries are powerhouses of nutrition.
Raspberries come with a very high content of antioxidants.
- Help prevent cancer….red raspberries contain ellagic acid, a phenolic compound that has exhibited anti-carcinogenic effects.
- It is a well-known fact that antioxidants can slow down, and counteract the deterioration of unhealthy cells, preventing wrinkles and inflammation. The berries offer antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, that help protect the cells in our body against the dangers of oxidative stress and the dangers of excessive inflammation. This good news for your skin, as the phytonutrients help to scavenge free radical molecules, and regulate the activity of enzymes that could trigger unwanted inflammation. Raspberries have 10 times the amount of antioxidants found in tomatoes, so eat up to keep your skin looking younger and healthier.
- Red raspberry seed oil is creating market interest in the cosmeceutical industry because it is rich in Vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acid and has a sun protection factor (SPF) of 24-50. You can find it at your local healthfood store.
Raspberries For Snacks or Dessert
The tart sweetness is perfect as a dessert, and if eaten alone or with a small dollop of low sugar whipped creams they are pretty much perfect. They are good for everyone, including diabetics, as the berries contain source of ellagitannins and anthocyanins. Anthocyanina helps to boost insulin production and lower blood sugar levels, so they are an excellent dessert, or snack when you want something sweet. Want to be a little naughty….let’s add some dark chocolate!
Just a little naughty….Chocolate Chip Stuffed Raspberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
Enough white or dark chocolate chips for each raspberry
- Wash and let the berries dry on a paper towel
- Insert one chocolate chip pointy end first of your desired flavor in each raspberry.
- Eat and enjoy a delicious healthy dessert.
Cleaning and Storing Raspberries
Common names for raspberries around the world: European red raspberry, Raspberry, Red raspberry, Framboise [French], Framboisier [French], Himbeere [German], Razuberi [Japanese], Ezo-ichigo [Japanese], Framboeseira [Portuguese], Chordón [Spanish], Frambueso [Spanish], Red Raspberries
It is best not to wash your raspberries and put them back into the refrigerator, as they will mold and spoil faster. You can either store them as they came in the package for a day or two, and wash before eating, or you have choice of washing and drying before returning to the refrigerator. If you want to wash them, use a light vinegar and water bath, and then drain in strainer for 10 minutes. Next move to paper towels or cheese cloth in a single layer, without berries touching. After they are completely dry place them in a single layer back into the refrigerator, and they will stay fresh longer. The vinegar bath with remove any residue, and placing them in a single layer will slow the fuzzy mold you find frequently on the berries as they begin to deteriorate. Short Video On Choosing Raspberries.
I hope you found this short article on the benefits of adding raspberries to your diet. There is no magic anti aging pill, but these little berries full of antioxidants offer many skin benefits to keep your skin looking healthier and more youthful.