The Many Health Benefits Of Caffeine
I am not a coffee drinker, I just never acquired a taste for it, but if you do indulge in the java there is some good news. According to many studies Coffee is the healthiest drink in the world. There is a long list of major health benefits to drinking coffee, and if I found it palpable I would indeed be in line at my local Starbucks!
If you are a coffee drinker then your might want to keep reading about how it can make you smarter by increasing our cognitive functions, increase energy levels, improve your mood, increase your reaction times, help you burn more fat, improve your performance at the gym, and provide most of the antioxidants you need to stay healthy.
Don’t get out the car keys yet for the Starbucks Run ….there are some more amazing benefits to drinking your daily cup of Joe that you have not yet discovered 🙂
The Many Health Benefits Of Caffeine
Is caffeine a drug?
Well caffeine is classified as a stimulant, and is the most commonly consumed psychoactive substance used around the world. The caffeine stimulate is absorbed into your blood, and moves it’s way into your brain, where it blocks the inhibitory neurotransmitter known as Adenosine.
One of it’s other superpowers is its ability to help rev- up your metabolism, and fat burning ability. Researchers have noted that caffeine can increase the metabolism. It does this by stimulating the nervous system, sending signals to the fat cells to break down body fat. Estimates are by as much as 10% in obese people, and up to 29% in thinner people. The down side is the more coffee and the longer you drink it, these fat burning benefits seems to decrease.
Can if Prevent Skin Cancers?
Studies are showing that drinking coffee may help prevent against a common form of skin cancer known in the medical world as a basal cell carcinoma. According to the Skin Cancer Foundational, Basal Cell Carcinoma is diagnosed in about 2 million Americans per year.
- Studies where first done on mice, and researchers found that both the orally injected, and the topically applied caffeine helped promote the destruction of the UV-damaged skin cell and reduced the skin cancer risk of the mice.
- Another study of 112,987 people who were followed for twenty years showed that nearly a quarter of the group developed the skin cancer, but the group that drank three or more cups of coffee had a 20 percent reduction in the cancer rate.
- Sorry Decaffeinated-coffee drinkers, but studies showed no decrease in the rate of skin cancers for those who don’t drink the caffeinated stuff.
Drinking coffee or caffeine drinks can been shown to:
- Several studies show that coffee lower your risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease by a whopping 65%
- Studies show that drinking coffee lowers a persons risk of developing Parkinson’s disease from 32-60%
- Studies show that people who drink four or more cups of coffee cut their risk of developing cirrhosis by an estimated 80%
Feeling depressed? A 2011 Harvard study showed that the risk of depression in women who drank 4 or more cups per day could be lowered by 20% (1)
- Another study of 489,706 test subjects found that those people who drank 4-5 cups of coffee per day had a 15% lower risk of developing colo-rectal cancer
- Coffee is considered by some on the healthiest drinks in the world, as it contains a massive amount of antioxidants.
A single cup of coffee contains
- Pantothenic Acid
The Bad News Abut Drinking Coffee
Drinking unfiltered coffee such as coffee made with a French press, or Turkish coffee can increase a substance call cafestrol. The Cafestrol increases your cholesterol levels, and can increase your risk of heart disease. (2)
Drinking coffee or caffeine during your pregnancy can be harmful to your fetus. Research shows this is because the fetus cannot metabolize the caffeine well, and cannot remove it from their blood stream. This can result in a fetus taking in less nutrition resulting is small birth size, and possible brain development.
There you go…enjoy that cup of Joe knowing that you maybe doing some real good for your body, brain, and skin!
Have a great and healthy day!
1. Drinking coffee may decrease depression risk in women
2. Is your coffee habit killing you or saving your life?
3. The latest research on coffee and cardiovascular health
4.How Coffee Could Be a Healthy Choice